Volume 6, 2020
|Number of page(s)||6|
|Published online||07 October 2020|
Results of meniscal injuries repair using different arthroscopic techniques
Resident of Orthopedic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Assiut University, 71515 Assiut, Egypt
2 Professor of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Faculty of Medicine, Assiut University, 71515 Assiut, Egypt
3 Lecturer of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Faculty of Medicine, Assiut University, 71515 Assiut, Egypt
* Corresponding author: email@example.com
Accepted: 11 August 2020
Aim: Evaluation of clinical and radiological outcomes following meniscal repair using different arthroscopic techniques for all meniscal tears amenable for repair. Methods: Sixty-one patients were involved in a prospective study; all cases presented with meniscal tears underwent arthroscopic meniscal repair from December 2016 to December 2017. Outcomes involved the site of tear, the repair technique, and associated injuries. The International Knee Documentation Committee Score (IKDC) and Tegner Lysholm Knee Score were used to analyze the clinical and functional outcomes postoperatively. Results: Of the 61 patients, 50 patients (81.9%) had meniscal tear associated with isolated ligamentous ACL injury, 6 cases had corrective osteotomy with ACL reconstruction to correct concomitant genu varus, 2 cases (3.3%) had meniscal tear associated with isolated ligamentous PCL injury, and 9 patients (14.8%) presented with isolated meniscal tear; IKDC was preoperatively (44.52 ± 8.79), postoperatively at 6 months (90.97 ± 6.75) and at 12 months (92.27 ± 2.68) with P-value (0.001). Tegner Lysholm score was preoperatively (52.16 ± 12.22), postoperatively at 6 months (88.03 ± 6.84) and at 12 months (93.26 ± 2.95) with P-value (0.001). Fifty eight patients (95.1%) had no postoperative symptoms at 6 and 12 months’ follow-up. The remaining 3 cases (4.9%) underwent partial meniscectomy due to persistent postoperative clinical symptoms with no signs of healing in MRI. Conclusions: Our study concluded that arthroscopic meniscal repair is an effective way in the management of meniscal tears regarding clinical and functional outcomes.
Key words: Knee / Meniscal tear / Arthroscopic / Repair / Meniscectomy
© The Authors, published by EDP Sciences, 2020
This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.