Volume 6, 2020
|Number of page(s)||5|
|Published online||17 June 2020|
Comparison of blood loss between intra-articular and intra-venous administration of tranexamic acid in primary total knee arthroplasty
Professor Orthopedic, CMH Hospital Rawalpindi and CMH Lahore Orthopedic ward, CMH Hospital Rawalpindi, Pakistan
2 Assistant Professor Orthopedics, DHQ Hospital Faisalabad, Clinical Fellow, CMH Lahore, DHQ Hospital Faisalabad Orthopedics ward, Pakistan
3 Clinical fellow CMH Hospital Rawalpindi and CMH Lahore, Pakistan
* Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org
Accepted: 27 May 2020
Objective: To compare the blood loss between intra-articular and intra-venous administration of tranexamic acid (TXA) in patients undergoing primary total knee arthroplasty. Design of study: It was a randomized controlled trial. Study duration and settings: This study was carried out at the Orthopedic Departments of Combined Military Hospital Lahore and Rawalpindi from Jan 2016 to March 2018. Methodology: Patients of both the genders were involved this study who had age in the rage of 40–80 years undergoing primary unilateral total knee arthroplasty for degenerative conditions like osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. These patients were randomly divided into two treatment groups. Patients in IA group received intra-articular tranexamic acid while those in IV group received intravenous tranexamic acid. From all the patients, a written signed consent was taken. Findings: Females were predominant with male-to-female ratio of 1:3.7. The mean age of the patients was 67.3 ± 8.2 years while the mean BMI was 30.9 ± 2.9 Kg/m2. Majority (n = 191, 95.5%) of the patients had osteoarthritis while remaining 9 (4.5%) patients had rheumatoid arthritis. There was no statistically significant difference between intra-articular and intra-venous administration of tranexamic acid in terms of mean post-operative hemoglobin (9.93 ± 1.14 vs. 9.87 ± 1.26 g/dL; p-value = 0.724), mean post-operative hematocrit (34.8 ± 1.66 vs. 34.73 ± 1.27%; p-value = 0.594), and mean fall in hemoglobin (2.27 ± 0.34 vs. 2.25 ± 0.30 g/dL; p-value = 0.587) and hematocrit (2.34 ± 0.94 vs. 2.46 ± 0.28%; p-value = 0.216). Conclusion: Intra-articular administration of tranexamic acid was found to be as effective and safe as intra-venous administration in reducing blood loss in primary total knee arthroplasty. Due to convenience, the use of intra-articular administration of tranexamic acid after primary TKA may be considered in future practice.
Key words: Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty / Tranexamic Acid / Intra-articular / Blood Loss
© The Authors, published by EDP Sciences, 2020
This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.